Hawkeye Ovals

Hawkeye Ovals

Follow on Twitter @knoxvilleraces and @EricArnoldBHG

Follow Eric on Twitter @_EricArnold

Monday, January 9, 2012

Spicy Hot

by Hawkeye Ovals Chili Bowl Correspondent Dan Zimmermann

The Bus House Gang is making its first en masse voyage to the Chili Bowl this year. A few of us have made the trek to Tulsa in the past but this is the first year we have a large group headed south out of Iowa. I’ve been attending sprint car races since 1978 but for some reason, this is the first time I’ve went to the Chili Bowl. I’m sure it won’t be the last and I’ll probably be kicking myself for waiting this long to go. For those of us who are rookies, we have heard about what the Chili Bowl is like. We have seen the pictures and watched the races on tv. However, I don’t think we will be able to grasp the enormity of what the Chili Bowl really is. I’ll attempt to bring my view of the Chili Bowl from a first time fan’s perspective including a few photos from our journey. Our gracious hosts for the weekend are Scott Chilcutt and Bob McCutcheon. Hopefully they take some pity on us after their Sooners gave our Hawkeyes a butt kicking in the Insight Bowl. Football is in the rear view mirror now and the only bowl that really matters starts in a handful of days.

The Chili Bowl is a big melting pot, not only of competitors from many racing disciplines but fans from across the country who are dying for some racing. It is hard for me to fathom a racing event with 260+ competitors. I’ve seen the pictures of the pit area with the haulers all parked indoors. I can’t wait to be able to walk through the pit area and soak in the atmosphere. I only wish all my racing friends could be with us on this trip. We know you all will be with us in spirit. The racing at the Chili Bowl is as intense as any race in the world. Luck plays a huge role in a drivers result. The numerous spins, crashes, and flips can ruin an otherwise perfect evening. There will be top flight drivers mired in D, E, F, mains or worse come Saturday night. There will be surprise drivers making the A main and we’ll ask ourselves, how the hell did so and so make the A feature?? I’m excited to see Kyle Larson, Steve Buckwalter, and Tony Stewart wheel their midgets around the bull ring. I can’t wait to watch 10+ hours of racing come Saturday! I’ll try to capture the spirit of the thing and keep things within the boundaries of good taste (had to get a couple Slap Shot references in here). I have made an attempt to rank the top 50 entries coming into the Chili Bowl. Use this information in your fantasy pool at your own risk. To my facebook buddies, I’ll have regular photo updates so check those out. I can’t wait to get the car headed south, lets go racing!!!

BHG Spicy Hot Power Rankings:
1. Sammy Swindell, 2. Kevin Swindell, 3. Tony Stewart, 4. Bryan Clauson, 5. Kyle Larson, 6. Dave Darland, 7. Jerry Coons Jr, 8. Levi Jones, 9. Michael Pickens, 10. Chris Windom, 11. Steve Buckwalter, 12. Darren Hagen, 13. Brad Sweet, 14. Jon Stanbrough, 15. Cory Kruseman, 16. Tracy Hines, 17. Brady Bacon, 18. Shane Cottle, 19. Brad Loyet, 20. Damion Gardner, 21. Nick Knepper, 22. Ricky Stenhouse Jr, 23. Thomas Meseraull, 24. Donnie Ray Crawford, 25. Jason Leffler

No comments:

Post a Comment